Each week a song title will be chosen as a theme. Here's where you blog it. And probably get it stuck in your head.....

10 July 2006

I wanna talk about me

Isn’t that, in general, what blogging is all about?

I tried, a few weeks back, to do one of those 100 Things that so many people have on their blogs. It’s harder than it looks. I guess I learned that I blog to get to know myself better (and because it’s a little more fun to rant and rave and ponder and muse in a public forum than in my nice little spiral notebooks) rather than to let other people get to know me well. But it turns out, I don't want to talk about me.

For all the yakking I do online, a lot of what goes on in my head is reserved for conversations, letters, and emails with people close to me. I don’t make friends easily, but when I do find someone with whom I can have a real conversation, I am loathe to let that person disappear from my life. I don't want to talk about me, I want to talk out the random and somewhat annoying thoughts that plague me.

Have you ever noticed that one of the hardest things to do is describe yourself? I totally suck at it. No matter what you say, you sound like a wanker. I tried it (describing myself) in my brief foray into online dating. I don’t think the attempt (the dating or the profile) was particularly good.

So, I’ll tell you about me. What do you want to know?

Questions Added Below

What's your favorite color?
I have two at the moment: lavender and crayola green.

If you had to have dinner with a current A list star, who would it be?
Hmmm. Where is the A list? Because I honestly don't know who is on it right now. I'd have a damn good time with Rupert Everett, but I doubt he's "A" list right now.

Do you support Hillary Clinton?
Support her for what? I am glad she is in our Senate. I think she is well-educated, intelligent, thoughtful, and a career politician. The latter means I don't necessarily trust her. Do I support her run for President in 2008? No. I don't think she has the personality or charisma or public speaking ability to win the popular vote. Not that that apparently matters anymore.

I thought her speech last year on the polarizing abortion debate was excellent and the response was telling. I would like to know how we came to a point in the United States where, whenever a politician (again, I understand, they aren't to be trusted) asks people to look at the grey areas -- the common ground that those opposed to and in support of an issue actually share, the points from which conversations could begin -- he or she is lambasted by both the right and the left as being wishy-washy. Since when did good discussion or actual debate -- when TWO or more sides of an issue can be heard -- become something to mock or run from?

(Side note: another EXCELLENT speech calling for a re-examination of what we have in common and where we stand was Barack Obama's speech on religion.)

What is your life fear?
That I will fail to make my life extraordinary. That when I die, I will discover that I have not lived. And unlike Thoreau, I don't think I need to go out into the woods to find marrow.

And one more thing about me. "Wanna" annoys the grammar professor inside me to all ends of the earth.

2 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

What's your favorite color?

If you had to have dinner with a current A list star, who would it be?

Do you support Hillary Clinton?

Okay, you can ignore the last one.

7:44 PM

 
Blogger Tug said...

What is your life fear?

7:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home