Each week a song title will be chosen as a theme. Here's where you blog it. And probably get it stuck in your head.....

11 April 2006

My Sharona

The best time I ever had while listening to My Sharona was on roller skates. I was probably 18 or 19 at the Skatium in Minot. It is one awesome song to roller skate to. I don’t know if it was the song or what, but I felt like I was going at warp speed.

When I was a kid, living in small town North Dakota, roller-skating was our Saturday night activity. There were very few Saturday nights that I was not at the Brown Memorial. It was great. Rented roller skates. The cracked concrete floor. Really bad organ music played on the record player and blasted over the loudspeaker. Strawberry pop in bottles. Ah, the good old days.

I loved growing up in a small town. I was a Campfire Girl. I was in 4-H. I was on a youth bowling league. Summers were spent at the swimming pool. Mornings we went to swimming lessons, and afternoons were spent at the pool. Our parents never worried about us. We went everywhere on our bikes. And always returned home for supper.

We lived about 4 blocks from Grandma and Grandpa’s house. I still remember the smell of their front porch in summer. It was my refuge. My mother always knew when something was bothering me, because that is where I would go. I miss my Grandmother. She died of pancreatic cancer in 1975. I wish she could have met my son.

So what was this supposed to be about? Oh well....I had a nice trip down memory lane....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you ever go to Plevna rollerskating with Ker & I? geez, that seems like 100 years ago. and hello to my Grandma....love & miss her too!

11:50 AM

 
Blogger Cooth said...

i remember several trips to the plevna bar, but not rollerskating.

12:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home