Each week a song title will be chosen as a theme. Here's where you blog it. And probably get it stuck in your head.....

11 August 2006

Mad World

It is a mad world. And to be honest with myself, I'm angry at it. I wish I could say that this is some anti-terrorist rant, but honestly, I don't think that's the biggest problem we face.

I feel bombarded with the knowledge that people, as a whole, are willing to do some pretty atrocious shit to one another. And that, since many of the decent people in the world feel overwhelmed by that, too many of us bury our heads in the sand and do nothing -- because we don't know what we can do that will help or make a difference.

I know that being a good person has nothing to do with how your life will end up. Being a wonderful human being does not protect you from random acts of violence or terminal illness. Being a good person does not necessarily extend your life. On the flip side, it does make your life richer, more worthwhile. And it does mean that when you go, people will carry you with them.

But what the fuck, people? Is there a reason that we keep blowing each other up or gunning each other down or beating each other up? Are there not enough natural ways to die that we need to create more opportunities? And while we can medically, artificially extend lives, what are we doing to make those lives, and our own, worth having? What are we doing to appreciate what time we have and those we have while they are with us?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tug said...

Well said. There IS some truth to "only the good die young"...the assholes seem to be around forever.

7:21 PM

 
Blogger Tug said...

as much as I believe "to each their own" as far as the way you think, that just pissed me off. To each my own, too.....

9:59 PM

 
Blogger kT said...

Funny, and this really wasn't about plots to blow people up. That's a whole different world of post there.

There's terrorism and there's war. The latter last longer. Both suck. Either way, I refuse to live my life in fear, no matter how often I'm told I should.

The point is, we're all going to die eventually. That's how this whole humanity thing works -- decaying flesh and all that. Enough people die EVERY damn day of natural, horrifying diseases, and yet people still seem to find lots of excuses for violently killing other people. Is "normal" death just not fast enough or something?

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Tug said...

again, agreed.

7:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home