Each week a song title will be chosen as a theme. Here's where you blog it. And probably get it stuck in your head.....

20 June 2006

Grits ain't groceries? Awww, shit, man!

To be honest, if grits ain’t groceries, I’m in trouble. About three mornings out of each week, that’s what I eat for breakfast. I’m sure they have some nutritional value. I could check, but I’m not sure that I want to know.

Actually, what constitutes “groceries” in my house wouldn’t feed a family for a day. Part of this is because I am NOT a family – I’m a single person. Have you noticed how hard it is to buy some things in reasonable sizes for one person? I do not need econo-sized. It’s not economical if half of it goes bad and has to be thrown out.

I buy one thing in bulk: paper products. Because Kleenex, toilet paper, and paper towels never go bad.

Then there’s the tree-hugger conundrum. Single-serving sized foods, or smaller packages, frequently require more packaging, which I will then need to donate to a landfill. I take my tree-hugging somewhat seriously – ask Cathy. I make her recycle at my house, because I do. I own a rotary push lawn mower. I try to walk to work when I can. I don’t buy disposable things if there are other options. I do try. But then, instant grits (in their individual packets) and individual string cheeses make the easiest breakfast, when one tires of the naturally packaged and ever-boring banana.

So, in my realm, grits ARE groceries, eggs may as well be poultry, and it would be hilarious if Mona Lisa was a man. But I eat string cheese for breakfast, so take that as you will.

3 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

I don't think I've eaten string cheese since I was 4. And maybe not even then. We were more cheese curd people.

Personally? I'm an individual packet of oatmeal or some nasty strawberry low carb pre packaged nasty drink shaky kind of thing. Ew.

5:05 AM

 
Blogger kT said...

I have the oatmeal, too. With raisins and cinnamon. Yum.

Shake thing? Ewww.

And deep-fried cheese curds are the best thing to ever come out of Wisconsin.

7:09 AM

 
Blogger Cooth said...

I have recycled. If I had the room, I would probably make a better attempt at recycling. I just don't have the space.

7:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home