Each week a song title will be chosen as a theme. Here's where you blog it. And probably get it stuck in your head.....

21 June 2006

Memories of Breakfasts.......


kT got me thinking about grits for breakfast. My dad's family is from the south, so there were ALWAYS grits around, & I'm sure they'd all tell you that they ARE groceries. Some of my relatives might also tell you Mona Lisa IS a man, & they've had beers with him while roasting pigs on spits in the backyard, who knows. But the breakfast thing... When we'd get all the family together down south, the girl cousins would stay with one aunt & uncle, the boy cousins with another. WE, the girls, had it made. This aunt & uncle lived on the banks of the Warrior River, so we spent our days water skiing, tubing, and just plain lazing away on the river. This is even where we bathed. Don't get me wrong - they had a beautiful house, showers & all, but when you're spending all day at the river, you just take your shampoo and soap & wash up there because really, there was no need to smell TOO good or get TOO clean for the fish, snapping turtles or water moccasins (AAAAHHHHHHH) in the river. GREAT memories. And the best part EVER? The day always started with a good breakfast of grits and ice cream sundaes. With whatever we wanted on them. My aunt firmly believed we could eat well when we were at home, but at her house, it was ice cream for breakfast. And grits were the staple. So now I'm thinking of my aunt's sundaes, my Grandma's cooking (O.M.G. the FOOD - delISH!)...and I'm hungry. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Blogger kT said...

Nothing wrong with ice cream for breakfast -- preferably on blueberry pie. One of the many "life lessons" I learned from my dad....

7:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home